• 2003 - 2005: PhD in Applied Geophysics at University of Trieste
• 1994 - 1995: specialization in Solid State Physics and Numerical Physics in the frame of the «Troisième cicle en Physiqne» at Ecole Politecnique Federale de Losanne (EPFS, Switzerland)
• 1992: Laurea in Physics with laudem.
• Since 1998: Researcher at OGS, permanent position from 2003
• 1996 - 1998: Fellowship at OGS
• 1994 - 1995: Assistant Research of the Physics Laboratory II at the Ecole Politecnique Federale de Losanne (EPFS, Switzerland)
• 1993: Fellowship at National Institute of Material Physics (INFM; Italy)
My research is interdisciplinary, spanning the fields of seismic analysis, theory and modeling. Recently I have primarily focused on the study of:
• Theoretical model to describe velocity versus gas hydrate and free gas concentrations and velocity versus pore pressure;
• Theoretical amplitude versus offset (AVO) curves to describe the effect of hydrate and free gas presence, overpressure condition and fluid presence in general;
• Seismic modeling to describe the seismic effect of hydrate and free gas presence and overpressure condition;
• Simulation of torsional, extensional and coupled waves in a borehole in order to better interpret well data;
• Advanced processing, such as datuming wave equation (WED) applied to crustal, high resolution land seismic, and Ocean Bottom Seismometer data;
• Algorithms and related codes to perform AVO and CIG (software named ISTRICI) analyses and to estimate the gas hydrate and free gas concentrations and the pore pressure regime (software named DRAGO);
• Integration analysis between different geophysical dataset.
The above studies are applied for different targets: characterization the gas hydrate reservoir, effect of climate change, and pressure/temperature change in general, on gas hydrate stability, characterization of aquifers, and analysis of crustal seismic data. The above mentioned analyses are also applied in environmental projects related to seismic risk. The developed procedures to analyze the seismic data have been the object of several invited talks and lessons. Moreover, the codes are disseminated in different contest in order to promote the collaboration with several countries (China, India, Norway, and Spain).
Recently funded research projects relevant to gas hydrate studies (P.I. U. Tinivella):
- Relationship between climate change and gas hydrate offshore South Shetland Islands (CLISM, 2010- 2012). In collaboration with KOPRI (Korea). Supported by National Program of Research in Antarctica.
- Collaboration of Mapping and Characterization of Gas Hydrate Reservoir in the South Chinese Sea (2010-2012). In collaboration with Geoscience University (China) and supported by Italian-Chinese Governments.
- Integrated analysis of geophysical data to characterize the gas hydrate reservoir offshore South Shetland Margin (IAGARESS, 2007-2009). In collaboration with KOPRI (Korea). Supported by Italian- Korean Governments.
- Mapping and quantification of gas hydrate in selected area of ENI interest (MAQUAI, 2007). Service for Italian Oil company (ENI).
- Integrated analysis of geophysical data to characterize slopes with gas hydrate offshore South Shetland Margin (IGEOS; 2007-2010). In collaboration with KOPRI (Korea). Supported by National Program of Research in Antarctica.
- Gas hydrate: environmental and climate impacts on sub-Antarctic regions (BSR, 2003-2006). The project acquired geophysical data in Antarctica. Supported by National Program of Research in Antarctica.
• Management Committee for EU-COST project “Permafrost and gas hydrate related methane release in Arctic and impact on climate change: European cooperation for long-term monitoring”;
• Tutor: Diploma in Environmental Engineering (M. Gili, 2011); PhD in Environmental Science (I. Vargas Cordero, 2006-2008; D. Accettella, 2009-2011); ICTP Felloship (I. Vargas Cordero, 2007-2009); Felloship at OGS (M.F. Loreto, 2005-2007); Marie Curie Fellowship (D. Praeg, 2004-2006); European grant in the frame of EURODOM (R.C. Neagu, 2004-2006); Diploma in Geology (F. Donda, 1998-1999)
• International Agreements: 1) Memorandum of Understanding between U. Tinivella and K. Sain (NGRI – India) to promote bilateral collaboration on gas hydrate studies (2010-2014); 2) Memorandum of Understanding between U. Tinivella e X. Liu (Geoscience University – China) to promote bilateral collaboration on gas hydrate studies (2009-2013); 3) Memorandum of Understanding between OGS e KOPRI (Korea) to collaborate in Antarctica (2007-2011).
Participation to data acquisition:
- Participation to Antarctic acquisition leg on board of Korean icebreaker Araon in proximity of a gas hydrate reservoir (December 2010);
- Participation to 3D land seismic data acquisition in proximity of a mud volcano (Apennines, Italy, 2005);
- Participation to 2D and 3D land data seismic to study aquifer system (Italy, 2005);
- P.I. of Antarctic acquisition (MCS and OBS data, multibeam, chirp, gravity core, CTD) leg to study gas hydrate (2004);
- Participation to Antarctic leg for crustal purposes (2004);
- Participation to seismic acquisition to characterize the shallow structures in Friuli Region (Italy) for seismic hazard (2004);
- Participation to Antarctic leg for crustal and gas hydrate studies (1997).